Winchester: 01962 841366   |   Plymouth: 01752 769000   |   Over 40 Years of Experience

Minimum Efficiency Standards Regulations

[et_pb_section admin_label=”section” transparent_background=”off” allow_player_pause=”off” inner_shadow=”off” parallax=”off” parallax_method=”off” custom_padding=”0px||0px|” padding_mobile=”off” make_fullwidth=”off” use_custom_width=”off” width_unit=”on” make_equal=”off” use_custom_gutter=”off”][et_pb_row admin_label=”row”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”]

Landlords and commercial building owners be warned, from April 2018 buildings with Energy Performance Certificates below band F will NOT be allowed to be let to new occupants or RENEW existing contracts with tenants.

This is the basis of the Minimum Efficiency Standards (MEES) regulations whereby landlords found to be in breach of the regulations after the period of grace to July 2018 will be fined 20% of the rateable value up to a maximum of £150,000.

As usual the government has done very little to promote this levy or detail who will be the policing this policy, however ignorance of the law is no excuse, so why not be prepared and start thinking about how to improve your building efficiency and put the money to good use.

Ways to make improvements include:- better insulation, better control systems, or use of controls, better heating and cooling systems with heat recovery and inverter driven technology, better lighting such as LEDS, better windows and doors.

There are some organisations such as the Carbon Trust who can offer assistance with finance for these types of projects.

If you are thinking of improving the air conditioning and ventilation systems in your building then give us a call for some free advice and consultation.